pending 64bit version of squeak

John M McIntosh johnmci at mac.com
Thu Jul 3 20:11:18 UTC 2003

> I imagine
> full GC is going to take quite a while to run. And, at times I imagine
> you'd want to collect more than the incremental GC, but without waiting
> on a lengthy full GC. Would it be useful in a 64 bit object memory to
> introduce more generations?
>
> - Stephen

Nope, you forget as I did (and Tim then reminded me) that you just fall
back to a reference counting GC.

a) you've got quite a few more bits around for making the header bigger
(32bits would be enough)
b) 64bit machines usually have quite a few extra integer execution
engines and you can hide the
reference counting math in the regular execution of the reference
update, so there is no cost.

c) Mmm I wonder if you forget to do GC compaction how long you could
run?  You just keep allocating new
pages from OS virtual memory.

PS This does raise the question would reference counting work better on
high end 32bit CPU today? Wonder if anyone has  gone back to try this?

===