Warning! DON'T UPDATE!!! (Re: [UPDATES] More KCP updates (and problems))

Stephane Ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Thu Jul 3 11:36:10 UTC 2003

Hi doug

May be this would explain why my changesets do not break.
Thanks all for the help. I'm sorry for the mess and also to be off-line
just at the right moment.
I knew that this one could be difficult (it is like shooting in your
own foot while  running).

>> For some reason, the change set that got published was truncated.
>> Probably this is because of the changes to ChangeSet.
>> I'd suggest using a text editor to edit the preamble if necessary,
>> and replacing KCP0085 in the update stream, but I'm testing this
>> right now.
>>
>> I have to make my own update server to test it, though.
>>
>> $ ls -l KCP-0085-MoveToChangeSet.3.cs
>> updates/5303KCP85MoveToChangeSet.cs
>> -rw-rw-r--    1 ned      ned         59442 Jul  2 07:39
>> KCP-0085-MoveToChangeSet.3.cs
>> -rw-rw-r--    1 ned      ned         17938 Jul  1 22:52
>> updates/5303KCP85MoveToChangeSet.cs
>>

> This appears to have been the main problem.  I just overwrote this
> changeset on the updates server with a non-truncated one, so this
> should be fixed at least.
>
> I think I know what happened now... I actually edited KCP85 because I
> needed to merge two more recent changes (mentioned in the new
> preamble).  I did this by editing the methods and filing out the
> changeset again, but this was while I only had the KCP changes up to
> 85 loaded, so the ChangeSet-related changes were still in flux, and
> the one I filed out was truncated.  (Or maybe it was truncated because
> it was originally hand-edited or some other reason.)

I never edited these files by hand and I still wonder why it was
truncated because I was never with me. I do not like
not understanding.

>  In any case, I used a text editor to merge the changes this time.
>
> Possibly there are still bugs related to changesets right now, but the
> worst of the problems seem to be fixed.  Keep on testing...
Yes this was a shaking change.

> - Doug Way

Stef