Newbie Questions

Jeff Longland jlonglan at uwo.ca
Fri Jul 4 17:38:38 UTC 2003

Thanks to everyone for their replies - I've been poking around in the dark
for a few weeks now.  It's really nice to find a helpful, responsive
community!

Ned - I've never done any work with Smalltalk, but I've used Java, C, etc.
in the past.  I'd like to code Smalltalk directly, but I suppose what I've
been using is the eToys system.  Up to this point, I've been creating
objects and manipulating them using tiles.  What is the usual development
environment?

Edgar - Thank you for the files.  I apologize for my lack of knowledge, I'm
confused by how to implement your SnakeMorph.  I select a new morph of
SnakeMorph and it loads the blue rectangle and the yellow tail.  How do I
control the movement of the Snake, as well as connecting the tail to the
Snake?

Bert - I installed the changes.  Do the changes apply to the penDown
command - or only TurtleTrails?  Or does penDown belong to TurtleTrails?

I'm not really familiar with Smalltalk and creating forms, etc.  I'd prefer
to continue developing using eToys / tiles for the simple fact that I'd like
to get the snake/rectangle working this afternoon.  Thank you to everyone
for their help, I'm feeling more confident in my exploration of Squeak.

I'm having a small problem at the moment as well - my penDown command is no
longer leaving a trail on top of my rectangle which I created with the paint
tool.  The trail shows up below the rectangle - I had it working at one
point, but I can't remember quite how.  Ideas?

Thanks,
Jeff