Tutorial #2 (more new user comments)

Bert Freudenberg bert at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de
Tue Jul 8 13:17:09 UTC 2003

Am Dienstag, 08.07.03 um 14:33 Uhr schrieb Nancy Head:

> Hi Bert,
>
> Thanks! I need some more help in order to find this:
>
>> perhaps the image from
>> Squeakland.org would be better suited. It has some nice preferences
>> setup already. Of course, you can also enable these in the developer
>> image:
>>
>> Open the preferences panel (world menu - "help" section), click on
>> "halos", and enable
>
> At squeakland.org, what "image" am I looking at/for?

There is an installer for the Squeak browser plugin at
http://www.squeakland.org/detect.html that contains all you need,
including the plugin, the virtual machine, and the image. It is
basically the same like the Squeak.org one, but with some preferences
adjusted, and more conservative in adopting new stuff.

What version of Squeak are you using? The one running as plugin in your
Internet browser from Squeakland.org, or the one running as stand-alone
application from Squeak.org? I assumed the latter because you posted to
the Squeak-dev list. The Squeakland version is geared more towards
non-geek users, like parents or teachers. They have a very friendly
mailing list, too, which has a lot less traffic than this one.

> What "preferences" am I looking at and where?
>
> Is the "world menu" in the Squeak plugin that I downloaded (via
> NPSqueak.zip)? I couldn't find it but would love to find a help file.

The world menu is the menu that pops up when you click on the empty
Squeak background, aka The World. Here you can choose "help", and then
"preferences". If no menu pops up when you click, you can also get it
via the World's halo (click the menu handle, last entry is "desktop
menu"), or press Cmd-Shift-W.