[ENH][VM] Improved code generation (hopefully ;)

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Tue Jul 8 18:17:06 UTC 2003

"Andreas Raab" <andreas.raab at gmx.de> wrote:

> In addition, I've updated CCodeGen to include two features I always wanted
> to have for C-level debugging:
>
> * CCodeGen can now use symbolic constants instead of their values, e.g.,
> 	self splObj: ClassFoo
>   gets translated into
> 	splObj(ClassFoo)
>   with ClassFoo being a #define instead of a literal. This makes it much
> easier to look at code if it uses things like AllButTypeMask instead
> 2147483647U ;-) This feature is covered by the #useSymbolicConstants
> property in CCodeGen which - by default - is on.
Oh, wonderful. Thank you so much.

> One more question btw: Fortunately, my "standard configuration tests" point
> out that some plugins are missing from the configuration I used (which not
> surprisingly includes the B3D stuff), but it also shows that the
> IntegerPokerPlugin has gone away. Where can I find it and why was it removed
> from VMMaker?
Err, I don't recall why it wouldn't be there. I have vague memories of
asking a loooong time ago what it was for and what use it might be and
getting no answers whatsoever. Maybe that lead me to think it wasn't
worth keeping. Do _you_ know what value it has? Obviously if it is
actually helpful we can stick it back in.

tim
In computer science, we stand on each other's feet.  - Brian Reid