Packages in both the image and SqueakMap (was Re: [FIX] NoDoitInPackageInfo-nk ( Included in latest version ofPackageInfo))

Marcus Denker marcus at ira.uka.de
Wed Jul 9 16:13:13 UTC 2003

On Wed, Jul 09, 2003 at 12:03:43PM -0400, Doug Way wrote:
> Daniel Vainsencher wrote:
>
> >I think the criteria for when to update the in the image packages from
> >SM should be when
> >A. The author (or someone else) reports some significant change.
> >B. And we've seen that it's stable enough.
> >
> >Can you elaborate on why you think we should update them before
> >releases?

Because then they would get tested? The whole idea of having a
aplha-image and an update stream is that we are able to *continuesly*
add stuff. And, because it's simple, people will test the stuff.

The version of a package that is both in the update stream and
on SqueakMap should be, as long as we are in alpha, the same.

This is to
a) make sure it is tested (that's what alpha is for)
b) if we don't do it, we will get thousands of bugreports
   regarding defects in the alpha image that are allready
   fixed in the package. Just consider how much time and
   energie will get wasted this way!
   (Five mails a day "it's fixed on squeakmap").

We have an update stream. Lets use it.

   Marcus

--
Marcus Denker marcus at ira.uka.de  -- Squeak! http://squeak.de