[BUG]lousy code in Sensor/EventSensor

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Wed Jul 9 16:20:32 UTC 2003

John M McIntosh <johnmci at mac.com> wrote:

> Hope you loaded my EventSensorDrivenByVM-JMM, did that do anything?
Hardly; the RiscOS vm isn't event driven as yet.

> otherwise at target of 20ms (ish) is used.  You don't have
> higherPerformance turned on do you?
Tried it both ways to no effect. The problem is that the nextEvent stuff
is taking up SO much time that there is almost never enough 'spare' time
to let the system decide to #checkForNewScreenSize.

> > As part of that I had to look at the code for Sensor/EventSensor. Yuck!
> > Surely it can be made simpler and cleaner?
>
> Start coding.
Hah! I have enough pain to handle right now without digging into that
particular sore. Somebody that has some ideas what Morphic actually
wants to get would be a better bet. Somebody that actually remembers how
it got to the current state would be even better.

> Ah, you read the comment in nextEventSynthesized?
Well yes, but my issue was more why it nver got called; with a non-nil
eventQueue it gets skipped. After manually nilling eventQueue I was
a) surprised it dodn't die
b) stunned that it made no performance difference.

tim
Strange OpCodes: XA: Execute Address field