[ENH][VM] Improved code generation (hopefully ;)

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Wed Jul 9 16:12:32 UTC 2003

"Andreas Raab" <andreas.raab at gmx.de> wrote:

> Hi Scott,
>
> > > We discussed these changes but nobody (including me) was
> > > able to recreate the improvement you reported.
Ian tried out on several *nix machines, I tried on ARM and my P3 RH
machine, John tried on his Macs and Andreas on W32. Nobody reported any
benefits and I think in a couple of case we saw falls in performance.
None of which surprised me because optmising general code for very
specific machines nearly always does that.

> > Did the root-table-overflow patch go in? (That one was where if the
> > root table was about to overflow, immediately microGC, then tenure.)
>
> Not sure - Tim?
Andreas's version of something like this is in the latest VM package.

tim
Useful random insult:- Couldn't find his way through a maze even if the rats helped him.