Squeak Install Instructions

Matej Kosik kosik at decef.elf.stuba.sk
Thu Jul 10 09:26:32 UTC 2003

On Wed, 9 Jul 2003, Nancy Head wrote:

> Matej,
>
> The Windows instructions you provide at
> http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/3294 do work (I'm on W2K Pro).

Thank you

> Maybe you
> could combine (3) and (4) to just say "Download and unzip the file:
> Squeak3.5-current-win-full.zip." Do squeak users really need this much help
> in downloading a file?

Well, I am aware of the fact that installing Squeak on Windows does not
cause much problems. The instructions only tell these facts.

> Or, are people having trouble with
> http://www.squeak.org/download/ because they need
> http://squeakland.org/plugin/download.html?
>
> What about adding a note to distinguish between the plugin version vs. the
> "full" version, and perhaps placing a link to the squeakland page for
> novices?

I did not write anything which I didn't tried by myself.
Until now, I wasn't successful in setting up the squeak plugin to
(in my case Mozilla browser on Debin GNU/Linux platform).

> In my case, I heard about Squeak from an English teacher colleague who heard
> Alan Kay speak at a conference. She (rightly) thought it sounded like
> something that would interest me. This is ALL the background information I
> had, though, before hitting Google to find out more. I easily found both the
> Squeakland and Squeak sites, but could have used more clarification to tell
> me there was a difference between the download at squeakland.org vs. at
> squeak.org, and some information about the difference between the two
> downloads. (As a beginner I needed to know that I could create, not just
> view, using the plugin version, for instance.)

I didn't wandered on squeakland web page until now. I guess (without
guarantee) that www.squeakland.org is "squeak plugin" oriented whereas
www.squeak.org is oriented toward classical squeak application/development
environment.