Squeak Install Instructions

Bert Freudenberg bert at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de
Thu Jul 10 10:39:46 UTC 2003

Am Donnerstag, 10.07.03 um 11:26 Uhr schrieb Matej Kosik:
>> What about adding a note to distinguish between the plugin version
>> vs. the
>> "full" version, and perhaps placing a link to the squeakland page for
>> novices?
>
> I did not write anything which I didn't tried by myself.
> Until now, I wasn't successful in setting up the squeak plugin to
> (in my case Mozilla browser on Debin GNU/Linux platform).

Is there a specific reason why you describe a complicated manual
install instead of just running the INSTALL file provided in the tar
balls? As it is described in the INSTALL file? At the main Unix Squeak
site, there also are image and source tar balls, which install into the
right location.

The way you describe it, the plugin WILL NOT work. It relies on the
specific directory layout created by the INSTALL script. There is even
a script that registers the plugin with all browsers it can find, so
there is usually no need to manually link the plugin into each browser
directory. You can read about the plugin installation here
http://isgwww.cs.uni-magdeburg.de/~bert/squeak/plugin/download.html
(which is linked from the Unix dowload page on the Swiki
http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/DownloadUnix).

Also, Sun's "tar" does not know the "z" switch. Only GNU tar does. Did
you actually try it?

> http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/3291

It would be nice if you did not create random pages, because this only
leads to outdated other pages.

Don't get me wrong, we seriously NEED people who write good
documentation. Thanks for helping! Its only that it might turn out
counter-productive if too many half-truths are scattered around many
places. One central description that is kept up-to-date is all we need.
I know that's easier said than done, but we need to keep trying :-)

-- Bert