Squeak Install Instructions

Dennis Daniels ddaniels at magic.fr
Thu Jul 10 14:13:28 UTC 2003

> Alan Kay recently spoke at a large national educational technology
> conference in the US, so there may be other teacher folks who wander into
> the squeak site needing to understand the distinction between the two
> different squeak.exe files (same name; same icon for both the
> squeak.com/complete and squeakland.com/plugin versions).
That would be me, I saw Mr. Kay's presentation in Seattle and I went
home afire to play with this app...

Squeak hasn't been anywhere as easy to install as I had hoped. Two hours
later, still not a squeak out of the install. I'm no expert with Linux,
though I've been using it as my OS (RH) for about a year now... Chalk it
up to user error, sure. But, Squeak should be as easy as

apt-get install squeak

should be easy if teachers are going to be using it.

I was really surprised to find outdated rpms and no repository
(apt-get). Mr Kay's presentation was aimed at teachers but I got the
feeling, after looking at the install options, Squeak is for teachers
who are using MS.

I'll take a look at the 'new' instructions. Maybe I'll get it going this
time...</end whine>

Dennis