Hidden Information

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Fri Jul 11 01:03:05 UTC 2003

"Brent Vukmer" <bvukmer at blackboard.com> wrote:
> However now I can't seem to type regular text following the link; the
> cursor stays in the little hand shape and anything I type in the
> workspace following the "BugFixArchiveViewer" link, also becomes a link
> to the BugFixArchiveViewer class definition.  Is that a bug? If not,
> it's definitely unclear/unintuitive how to mark the end of a link.

Yeah.  By the way, you can use alt-0 to remove emphasis from text after
the fact.  But it's still weird.

This shouldn't be real hard to fix.  Squeak's model of text is that you
have a string plus attributes that apply to segments of the string.
Attributes can be all kinds of things, include bold-face, font sizes,
URL links, and DoIt's.  The weirdness you describe comes from the way
Squeak adds characters to a text: it uses the same attributes for the
characters to the left of what is added.  This makes perfect sense for
bold-face and the size of the font, but it surely should not happen for
hyperlinks.

> via Alt-6 + "Do it", and Alt-6 + "Edit hidden text" -- but I couldn't do
> the same thing with:
>
> BugFixArchiveViewer<BugFixArchiveViewer Definition>
>  - and -
> *BugFixArchiveViewer*

It works for me....

> This feature would be more intuitive, for me at least, if clicking on
> links within Squeak brought up the Browser instead of the MessageSet
> window -- and if the Browser acted like a Web browser when handling
> Squeak links ( history, back button, forward button ).

Incidentally, I've felt the same way.  I'd rather they all linked to
full system browsers.

Lex