HashBits, a lazy way

Stephen Pair stephen at pairhome.net
Fri Jul 11 13:27:04 UTC 2003

John M McIntosh wrote:

> So if I repeat a zillion times, 100 allocations of Object new in a
> while block.
>
> The  time taken is 17% faster based on clock time for the
> deferred-hash  case.
> Not bad considering allocation is only 20ish % of total cycles.

I wonder how this will translate to real world performance?  5%
improvement?  10%?  Since real code doesn't allocate a bunch of objects
in a tight loop like this, I imagine that the % of total cycles spent in
allocation must be lower than the 20% in this test case.  It would be
nice to have some real world benchmarks to compare...building the
interpreter is nice, but how about picking a decent sized package and
installing it in the image (from disk)?  Since, people do tend to do
that quite a lot.

- Stephen