help installing squeak on gentoo

Michael Warnock mwarnock at mcw.edu
Fri Jul 11 14:46:34 UTC 2003

Greetings,

I've tried a number of things to get squeak working on my gentoo linux box.  Whether following the instructions at squeak.org or the swiki for source or binaries, emerging the masked gentoo packages or running Matej's install script, I get the same result.  Everything seems to install smoothly, and it starts fine upon a 'inisqueak', the eyes follow my cursor for about 5 seconds, stop and then I get this in the term I launched it from:

1087740072 Float>truncated  (lines like this one quickly fill my buffer, but if the beginning is important I could have screen log it)
1087739968 Float>truncated
1087739864 Float>truncated
1087739760 Float>truncated
1087739656 Float>truncated
1087739564 Float>truncated
1087739472 Float>truncated
1087739368 Number>quo:
1087739276 Float>truncated
1087739100 Number>quo:
1087739008 Float>truncated
1087738916 Number>quo:
1087738824 Float>truncated
1087738732 Number>asInteger
1087738640 Point>asIntegerPoint
1087738548 MovingEyeMorph>irisPos:
1087738456 MovingEyeMorph>step
1087738364 Morph>stepAt:
1087738272 MorphicAlarm>value:
1087738180 WorldState>runLocalStepMethodsIn:
1087738088 WorldState>runStepMethodsIn:
1087737996 PasteUpMorph>runStepMethods
1087737716 WorldState>doOneCycleNowFor:
1087737588 WorldState>doOneCycleFor:
1087737496 PasteUpMorph>doOneCycle
1086388592 [] in Project class>spawnNewProcess
1086388776 [] in BlockContext>newProcess

and finally the window disappears.

Any help would be most appreciated.
Michael