Looking for tools for support of theoretical informatics research

Anthony Hannan ajh18 at cornell.edu
Fri Jul 11 16:58:17 UTC 2003

Hannes Hirzel <hannes.hirzel.squeaklist at bluewin.ch> wrote:
> Anthony Hannan did a clean-up work on the parser classes one or two
> years ago (it took him months to do it) but unfortunately that work is
> still one hold AFAIK, because of VM changes which have to be made before
> and that involves changing the image format.

The compiler that Hannes is referring to has evolved into the Closure
Compiler which uses the Refactory parse nodes, and no longer requires VM
or image format changes.  Load SmaCC Development from SqueakMap to get
the Refactory parse nodes and the parser generator (the parse node
classes can be found in system category 'Refactory-Parser' once loaded).
 Load ClosureCompiler-ajh from SqueakMap to get the closure compiler
which includes an intermediate representation (IRBuilder) and a bytecode
assembler (BytecodeGenerator).  Read the class comment in Compiler to
start (after ClosureCompiler is loaded).

> The nice thing to go for would be to have Anthonys work folded into
> the main release, to discuss and perhaps enhance it and come up with
> subclasses for various other types of syntaxes and languages.

Yes, I think we should include the Closure Compiler in the next release
(3.7).

Cheers,
Anthony