Squid language (was: Looking for tools for support oftheoretical informatics research)

Hannes Hirzel hannes.hirzel.squeaklist at bluewin.ch
Fri Jul 11 23:39:13 UTC 2003

Andreas Raab wrote:

> Just FYI:
>
>>Right now I'm designing the language and am leaning towards
>>lambda-based objects a la E (erights.org).  That is, every object
>>is a block.
>

> This was what inspired me to do the "objects as methods" stuff - just being
> able to experiment with these notions is incredibly powerful.

Well this power goes back to John McCarthys 1958 paper
entitled "Recursive Functions of Symbolic Expressions and Their
Computation by Machine, Part I" in  the Communications the ACM.

And it reminds me of the quotation that every reasonaly complex
system includes a more or less well written Lisp interpreter
in the end.

Who said that?

Hannes Hirzel