Development of a 3D Cad system within Squeak/Croquet

MarkSundberg Architect at hawaii.rr.com
Sat Jul 12 04:06:09 UTC 2003

Aloha All,

I am an architect deeply enmeshed in CAD work particularly 3D modeling
and using 3D models directly in documentation of design work, primarily
in the architectural or engineering genres. The process is somewhat
analogous to building a scale model (the scale being 1:1) and then
taking pictures of that model, carefully selecting the viewpoints to
match the traditional orthagonal views, then overlaying the pictures
with notations as to materials, assemblies and dimensions. I have been
working on the notion of a digital design suite that extends from a
fully interactive 3D environment accessible collaboratively over the
internet or some other network, through a fully effective 3D modeling
system to documentation in the field with interactive side branches to
various engineering disciplines for analysis and design input and beyond
to facilities management post construction including perhaps full
interface with the facility users. A good example of this would be a
museum or cultural center, the concept is discussed interactively over
the network, with the site fully modeled in walk around 3d, including
views out from the site, maybe even active views from web cams set up on
the site, the designers would generate model solutions for review and
comment, refinements tried out while the design models are analyzed by
engineering programs, eventually a design is selected and scanned for
construction documents, perhaps even made available to hand held
computers used by the workers in the field, upon completion of
construction, the model is used for facilities management and populated
with the exhibits for review by students, researchers and potential
visitors who can also bring their handheld (or rent one at the facility,
downloading their personal tour) to assist with their visit. Sort of
like the vision in the Squeak Book for a Theme Park.

I was introduced to Croquet last Fall and because of that have gained an
interest in Squeak, which it seems will be the natural operating
environment for Croquet. I believe Croquet/Squeak could be capable of
realizing the above scenarios but there will need to be the various
methods and morphs, classes and so on specifically designed for that
purpose. I would like to work with someone more adept and knowledgeable
of Squeak/Croquet than I to develop these. I know what they need to be
and have to do, I just am not very clear on how to develop them. I see
this could become a primary means of public input to large scale
development as well as a wonderfully intuitive way to design one's own
environments as well as those of others. It could also become a great
way to introduce the public to the many facilities that abound, from
museums and galleries, to public facilities of any kind, to parks and
monuments, even to cruise ships and other mass transit. I see something
akin to the vision in William Gibson's Virtual Light where there exists
a cyber duplicate to the real world, but with all the related data
linked in and accessible.

So, if there is anyone out there that's interested in this idea, please
contact me. At this point in time, there isn't any significant funding
for this effort, but I am working on that. I believe that a successful
result would be commercially viable, indeed, it could well become a
paradigm for the design/engineering/construction/facilities management
and use industries. I also believe the effort would be of great benefit
to Squeak/Croquet, regardless of any commercial viability.

Mark Sundberg.