help installing squeak on gentoo

Matej Kosik kosik at decef.elf.stuba.sk
Sat Jul 12 10:46:11 UTC 2003

Michael Warnock wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I've tried a number of things to get squeak working on my gentoo linux box.  Whether following the instructions at squeak.org or the swiki for source or binaries, emerging the masked gentoo packages or running Matej's install script, I get the same result.  Everything seems to install smoothly, and it starts fine upon a 'inisqueak', the eyes follow my cursor for about 5 seconds, stop and then I get this in the term I launched it from:
>
> 1087740072 Float>truncated  (lines like this one quickly fill my buffer, but if the beginning is important I could have screen log it)
> 1087739968 Float>truncated
> 1087739864 Float>truncated
> 1087739760 Float>truncated
> 1087739656 Float>truncated
> 1087739564 Float>truncated
> 1087739472 Float>truncated
> 1087739368 Number>quo:

Some time before, I had the same problem. It happened for virtual
machine which I compiled myself on Linux. I was also confused.
My friend told me that it is because of some bug in gcc-3.0.

When I compiled virtual machine with good old

	gcc-2.95

everything worked.

Although I think that virtual machine binaries provided are
good (I have tried Squeak-3.2-5 on my computer) so I can't
image why did you get those errors.

Please try to compile virtual machine (the same version which
you tried before), but this time, compile it with

	gcc-2.95

Please let me know if it worked.
--
Matej Kosik <http://altair.dcs.elf.stuba.sk/~kosik>