Flexible squeak - a call for extension mechanisms

Bijan Parsia bparsia at email.unc.edu
Mon Jul 14 15:07:51 UTC 2003

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003, Daniel Vainsencher wrote:

[snip]
> Now Roel is working on a notification service that generates events when
> code changes happen, so that applications interested in these events can
> be added without mucking around the compiler and friends.

This is great. One challege, I'd imagine, is to do all this without
mucking with possible user arrangements.

> I thought I'd ask for other people to mention what other hooks they
> think are needed, and mention some ideas I've seen floating around here
> and there.
>
> 1. Keyboard shortcuts - these should be configurable by the user, but
> should also be extendible by applications. For example, if someone comes
> up with a local dictionary package, he should be able to expose that
> function as a keyboard shortcut in text panes.

I'm fond of the idea, though not the execution of MrEd's keymaps:

http://www.cs.huji.ac.il/support/docs/drscheme/toolbox/node1398.htm#classwxkeymap

Especially chaining:
http://www.cs.huji.ac.il/support/docs/drscheme/toolbox/node1403.htm#methodwxkeymapchaintokeymap

I generally like the idea of overlays of event handlers.

> 2. Menus in general - I think adding new registries for every menu that
> needs it is lame. We should design a system that allows any application
> to add to any (or almost any) menu dynamically. I think EMACS is
> supposed to do something like this, though I'm not familiar with the
> design.

Just reiterate that there are hefty UI issues here, especially in the
presense of arbitrary user (or application!) modification.

menus are already extensible and rearrageable, I think. The question is
more on conventions and best practices.

[snip]

Great thought, btw.

Cheers,