New MobilePro Model- fast Squeak mini-laptop

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Mon Jul 14 23:28:58 UTC 2003

On Monday 14 July 2003 03:51 pm, Yoshiki.Ohshima at acm.org wrote:

>   This one doesn't look like the NEC/DoCoMo's flagship Sigmarion
> III. Sigmarion II has a 800x480 5inch screen, (I don't see 8 inch
> 640x240 doesn't make much sense...)  The rest of the spec looks
> similar to Sigmarion III, though.

This is a follow-on for the MobilePro 700 and 770 models, which had
the same touch screens. I have a 700, and it's too slow for Morphic
(with a 131MHz MIPS processor).

I suspect that they've priced it for the corporate/vertical market. At
about 800g, it's pretty easy to carry around. Though I notice the
Sigmarion is much lighter.

> > That said, it's an expensive device- they want $900 for it new!
> > Ouch. It'd be a neat, although hideously expensive option for
> > someone who wants a portable Squeak with 8 hours of battery life.
>
>   Whhaaat?!  The street price of Sigmarion III is about 400 USD
> equivalent.  Are they trying to peddling?

Still, we'll probably never see them here in the US. Unless you're
going shopping in Japan soon <g>...

--
Ned Konz
http://bike-nomad.com