Distributing Squeak Projects

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Tue Jul 15 21:05:18 UTC 2003

> You could use SqueakMap:
> -- register your changesets with SqueakMap
> -- register your project with SqueakMap
> -- create a "load script" that loads the changesets, then the project,
> and register the load script on SqueakMap
>
> Then just refer people to the load script. ...

Err... honestly that doesn't quite count as "simple" for me.

Jeff, if you have change sets installed which are required by your project
just make sure all the changes are included in the project itself - when you
publish that project you will be asked whether to include the changes (say
yes of course ;-)

If you are going to require the changes by a number of projects you may want
to provide the CS at a separate location and just add something like this to
the project's preamble:

	"make sure we're compatible with 3.6 and possibly later"
	((Smalltalk at: #HTTPClient ifAbsent:[HTTPSocket])
		httpGet: 'http://myHost.com/myChanges/myCS.cs') fileIn.

This will load the changes from some other than the default location (and be
compatible with Squeak prior 3.6 which the SqueakMap version is not). If you
don't care about older versions you can use SqueakMap and add something like

	SMSqueakMap default loadPackageWithID: 'xxxx-yyyy-zzzz-...'

(not sure if the above is correct - someone correct me). The advantage of
this is that the changes only get loaded once (in the http-get example we'd
load the changes every time you open one of the project referring to them)
but it's not compatible with any Squeak prior to 3.6 (which includes the
Squeakland plugin image).

Cheers,
  - Andreas