accelerated OpenGL on linux/nvidia (crash)

Bert Freudenberg bert at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de
Wed Jul 16 00:27:54 UTC 2003

Am Dienstag, 15.07.03 um 23:42 Uhr schrieb Radek Doulik:

> Hi,
>
> I am experiencing crashes with Ballon3D. When I enable hardware
> acceleration, sooner or later squeak crashes. I found some comments on
> swiki (http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/2904) about using older
> NVidia
> drivers, but this semi-solution doesn't work for me as my card is not
> supported by old driver.

Are you sure? The 1541s might work. As far as i know NVIDIA's chips are
both upwards and downwards compatible.

>  The behavior explained there seems to be
> similar to my case.
>
> I tried various VM and image versions, including 3.4 packaged by rpm
> available on http://www-sor.inria.fr/~piumarta/squeak/ without success.
> It still crashes. Other OpenGL applications run without problem so it
> seems to be squeak bug/problem so far.
>
> Any idea what could be wrong and/or how to fix it?

Nope. I still tend to think that Squeak triggers some untested sequence
in the driver. If you could create a test case, you could mail Andy
Mecham of NVIDIA. Or just post it to the NV Linux forum
(http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=14).

-- Bert