New MobilePro Model- fast Squeak mini-laptop

Yoshiki.Ohshima at acm.org Yoshiki.Ohshima at acm.org
Wed Jul 16 14:49:08 UTC 2003

  Ned,

> So the Sigmarion III might be an ideal handheld for running Squeak:
> cheap (about $400), light (does the 455g weight include the
> battery?), fast...

  Might be.  I should ask on Squeak-ja...

> Does it have a USB host port? I notice that it doesn't have a modem
> (presumably because you'd attach it to DoCoMo's data phones).

  It sounds like it has a USB host port.  You can connect to a
cellphone (all phones are data capable) via a custom cable.  Below is
a set of pictures of such different cables.

http://www.nttdocomo.co.jp/info/products/sigmarion3/options/index.html

  Presumably, variety of CF slot cards and SDIO cards are usable.

> How about a touch screen?

  It has a touch screen.

> I tried to translate some of DoCoMo's spec pages using Babelfish, but
> they've apparently got the character encoding declared wrong.

  This page may be worth to translate:

http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/2003/0422/docomo.htm

> Now the question is how to get them in the US.

  Ok, it sounds like now you're getting serious^^;  Next time I go
there, I can buy.  I can ask a friend of mine and have it shipped if
you want.

-- Yoshiki