Installing Squeak on Linux, *BSD, Solaris, ...

Bert Freudenberg bert at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de
Wed Jul 16 20:13:54 UTC 2003

Am Mittwoch, 16.07.03 um 17:28 Uhr schrieb Matej Kosik:

> Hi, I was working on
>
>     http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/2961

You write:

	"... gcc-3.0 compiler. That compiler contains a bug ..."

This is not correct. The Squeak configure script is buggy, not gcc, and
a fix is available for a long time.

> The aim of my work is to create a script which *conveniently*
> (i.e. without much user interaction) installs squeak on any UNIX
> (where squeak is supported).

Well, I'd rather see the "configure;make;make install" mantra working
well. The chance of getting yet another script into the official
distribution are rather low. Everything it does can be done equally
well (if not better) in the configure or make step. It's just a matter
of providing the right tarballs that contain everything you need, along
with pre-compiled binaries for major distros. I intend to tackle this
myself, eventually, just not in the next two months. So everything you
can do now in this direction is very welcome :-)

-- Bert