Licenses all over again

Cees de Groot cg at cdegroot.com
Fri Jul 18 07:43:58 UTC 2003

On Fri, 2003-07-18 at 03:01, Andrew C. Greenberg wrote:
> in
> view of the positions recently taken by FSF with respect to LGPL and
> Java-based libraries, which has taken the view that clients of
> "included" Java libraries are virally attached by LGPL.  As understood
> from skimming blogs discussing the issues, Apache foundation has opted
> to eschew LGPL libraries, in part, because of this FSF gloss.

Of course, this is largely political rather than legal. First, the FSF
is bound to give the widest possible interpretation of their own
(politically inspired) license; second, the ASF is not bound to go into
a public fight with an entity that lots view as a sort of sibling
organization.

Jar files are very similar to shared libraries, and when studying the
LGPL in respect to Java development years ago, I concluded that binding
.jar files would fall under clause 6. For Squeak, the situation is much
muddier, because we currently have no way to get the 'anti-viral'
protection offered by clause 6.

What I do wonder about: what's the fuzz? Clause 6 is *exactly* the
clause that protects the 'host' program against the library w.r.t.
virality, so this should be *good* news for the Java community (well,
now news - lots of us already new this since, say, 1995). Did no-one
read the news post on gmane.org and then the LGPL?

--
Disclaimer: all Dutchmen are liars