squeak linux woes

Bert Freudenberg bert at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de
Fri Jul 18 10:23:58 UTC 2003

Am Freitag, 18.07.03 um 06:33 Uhr schrieb Lex Spoon:

> <Jim.Gettys at hp.com> wrote:
>> If the source RPM had been made available, doing this might have been
>> as easy as doing a "rpmbuild --rebuild", but I never saw one lying
>> around.

I don't think one ever existed.

>> Generally, it is a good idea to post the source RPM as well as the
>> binary;
>> that lets people rebuild for other architectures Linux runs on easily,
>> and/or optimize for Athlon/686 if they care about speed.
>

> It is wonderful if people can release an RPM for each version of RedHat
> that is in common use.

If we had a src rpm, that would indeed be very easy, because people
could easily contribute a version for their system.

>  Bert mentioned doing the rebuilds automatically.
>  I wonder if anyone has worked out the details of this in a way we can
> reuse for Squeak?  It would seem to require chroot plus having a copy
> of
> each distribution lying around, but at "only" a hundred or two
> megabytes
> each, this is doable nowadays.

It's not *that* bad. We at most need an RPM per glibc version, not for
every release. And these should work fine for other RPM-based distros,
too.

-- Bert