Extending FileList with CrLf

Volker Nitsch nitsch-lists at netcologne.de
Fri Jul 18 21:40:08 UTC 2003

Am Freitag, 18. Juli 2003 18:22 schrieb Ned Konz:
> On Friday 18 July 2003 09:12 am, Volker Nitsch wrote:
> > Hacking a bit in FileList to use CrLFileStream.:
> >
> > FileList opens its files with FileDirectory.
> > Currently i clone oldFileOrNoneNamed:etc as
> > oldCrLfFileOrNoneNamed: etc. is this the right way?
>
> No need to do this (see below).
>
> > Also i subclass FileList as CrLfFileList. would some flag or such
> > in FileList itself be better?
>
> We already have one. See FileStream class>>concreteStream and its
> callers.
>
> Have you just tried changing FileStream class>>concreteStream to:

Yes, in a squeak-try a while ago. Caould be 3.2?
Something broke IIRC, thinking files are binary.
A comment indicated concreteStream will change to use it.
This did not happen till today, so i guest there are to many problems.

So i want a FileList explicitly using CrLfFileStream without affecting the
rest.

> concreteStream
> 	^CrLfFileStream
>
> > I want to open files by selecting. So the FileList and
> > PluggableTextMorph needs to cooperate. i added
> >   selection
> > 	^ textMorph editor selection
> > to PluggableTextMorph and handle it like "view as hex".
> > since the textmorph offers no access to the selection, i guess
> > Squeakers would use another way?
>
> Ordinarily the PTM sends messages to its model when the selection is
> changed (and when the model wants to change the selection).

Thats the stuff i have to learn. Could you give some hints? A place where this
interaction takes place, where i can put a "self halt"? Related classes,
methods to browse? I like this browsing/examining in squeak, but here i do
not know where to start.

Would be very lucky with an example which creates a Text with a model and
hints where to plug in the debugger to follow this selection-stuff. :)

Thanks, Volker