squeak linux woes

Ted Wright batlist at adelphia.net
Sat Jul 19 21:42:21 UTC 2003

Bert Freudenberg <bert at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de> wrote:
>Am Samstag, 19.07.03 um 13:55 Uhr schrieb Ted Wright:
>>I have not had much luck making a VM that runs reliably with the version 3
>>C compiler that is the default on Red Hat 8.0 and 9, which is why I'm using
>>gcc 2.96 (from the compat-gcc package) here.
>
>Could you building from my src rpm, which includes the gcc3 patch?
>
>    http://isgwww.cs.uni-magdeburg.de/~bert/squeak/RPMS/
>
>And could you also check if my binary works, by chance?

I tried your binary and rebuilt the source RPM on Red Hat 8.0, and both
seemed to work fine. My only suggestion is to include the "Requires" and
"Provides" portions of the .spec file:

    BuildRequires: XFree86-devel compat-gcc
    Requires: XFree86-libs glibc
    Provides: %{name} = %{version}

I use the apt (for RPM) program from http://freshrpms.net to help maintain
my systems, and getting all the dependencies right in .spec files lets apt
resolve dependencies automatically.

I won't have more than terminal access to a Red Hat 9 computer until Monday,
so I won't be able to check out your binary on RH9 until then. However, I did try
to rebuild the source RPM on RH9, and it had a problem. Everything looked like
it was compiling normally until near the end of the build process:

# rpmbuild --rebuild Squeak-vm-3.4-1bert.src.rpm
strip /usr/lib/squeak/3.4-1/npsqueak.so
+ /usr/lib/rpm/redhat/brp-compress
+ /usr/lib/rpm/redhat/brp-strip /usr/bin/strip
+ /usr/lib/rpm/redhat/brp-strip-static-archive /usr/bin/strip
+ /usr/lib/rpm/redhat/brp-strip-comment-note /usr/bin/strip /usr/bin/objdump
Processing files: Squeak-vm-3.4-1bert
Checking for unpackaged file(s): /usr/lib/rpm/check-files %{buildroot}
getOutputFrom(): Broken pipe

I'm not sure what would cause this or why it would work on Red Hat 8.0 but
not Red Hat 9.

Ted