squeak linux woes

Bert Freudenberg bert at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de
Sat Jul 19 22:35:35 UTC 2003

Am Samstag, 19.07.03 um 23:42 Uhr schrieb Ted Wright:

> Bert Freudenberg <bert at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de> wrote:
>> Am Samstag, 19.07.03 um 13:55 Uhr schrieb Ted Wright:
>>> I have not had much luck making a VM that runs reliably with the
>>> version 3
>>> C compiler that is the default on Red Hat 8.0 and 9, which is why
>>> I'm using
>>> gcc 2.96 (from the compat-gcc package) here.
>>
>> Could you building from my src rpm, which includes the gcc3 patch?
>>
>>    http://isgwww.cs.uni-magdeburg.de/~bert/squeak/RPMS/
>>
>> And could you also check if my binary works, by chance?
>
> I tried your binary and rebuilt the source RPM on Red Hat 8.0, and both
> seemed to work fine.

Great! Thanks for trying!

> My only suggestion is to include the "Requires" and
> "Provides" portions of the .spec file:
>
>     BuildRequires: XFree86-devel compat-gcc
>     Requires: XFree86-libs glibc
>     Provides: %{name} = %{version}

We wouldn't need compat-gcc with the gcc3 patch, right?

But some dependencies definetly are in order. Suppose I'd like to build
one src RPM for all distributions. Are you sure the packages are called
like this in every distro? Otherwise we might be better of listing
individual lib files in the Requires section, and headers plus tools
(sh, sed, awk, make) in the BuildRequires section.

> I use the apt (for RPM) program from http://freshrpms.net to help
> maintain
> my systems, and getting all the dependencies right in .spec files lets
> apt
> resolve dependencies automatically.

Neat, I didn't know that existed.

> I won't have more than terminal access to a Red Hat 9 computer until
> Monday,
> so I won't be able to check out your binary on RH9 until then.
> However, I did try
> to rebuild the source RPM on RH9, and it had a problem. Everything
> looked like
> it was compiling normally until near the end of the build process:
>
> # rpmbuild --rebuild Squeak-vm-3.4-1bert.src.rpm
> strip /usr/lib/squeak/3.4-1/npsqueak.so
> + /usr/lib/rpm/redhat/brp-compress
> + /usr/lib/rpm/redhat/brp-strip /usr/bin/strip
> + /usr/lib/rpm/redhat/brp-strip-static-archive /usr/bin/strip
> + /usr/lib/rpm/redhat/brp-strip-comment-note /usr/bin/strip
> /usr/bin/objdump
> Processing files: Squeak-vm-3.4-1bert
> Checking for unpackaged file(s): /usr/lib/rpm/check-files %{buildroot}
> getOutputFrom(): Broken pipe
>
> I'm not sure what would cause this or why it would work on Red Hat 8.0
> but
> not Red Hat 9.

No idea. Looks like this has nothing to do with the build, but with the
check-files script? I googled for that, some people have reported the
problem, but no solution so far. Maybe it barfs on the directories in
the %files section? Perhaps one should list each file. Would be better
anyway, I was just being lazy.

-- Bert