non-inlined VM.

John M McIntosh johnmci at mac.com
Sun Jul 20 21:51:10 UTC 2003

> From:   "PhiHo Hoang" < phiho.hoang at r... >
> Date:   Sun Jul 20, 2003  9:37 pm
> Subject:   Re: non-inlined VM.
>
> John,
>
> > If you can gunify & inline the bytecode fetch that would make things
> > lot faster for a modest increase in size.
>
> Tim also noticed there are places where inline made no sense.
>
> Can we just use the 'inline' specifier and leave the dirty job of
> actually
> expanding the code where it makes sense to the C/C++ compiler ?
>
> The C/C++ compiler can even be instructed to expand always and
> the code is still always more readable ;-)
>
> Cheers,
>
> PhiHo.

Yes, but in my example the codewarrior inline logic wouldn't inline 2
levels deep, thus the
code change. What I'd suggest is trying it and then look at the
assembler to see if there is any improvements.

Still need to do the gnuify to avoid the case statement logic and have
a threaded goto construct.