Interactive Fiction is an Oxymoron (Was: Interactive Story)

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Mon Jul 21 17:21:24 UTC 2003

I think that, rather unusually, you've used the wrong words here Andy.

Interactive fiction seems a prefectly sensible phrase to describe a wide
range of things, including games, audience participation theatre and so
on. However, I agree completely about the problem you're referring to
wrt pacing and story control.

Finding the proper word is tricky here - I think perhaps we could agree
that 'interactive storytelling' is an oxymoron so long as we carefuly
note that the context is computer related and so 'interactive' has a
somewhat different meaning than it might have in stage circles.

tim
Strange OpCodes: BLI: Branch and Loop Infinite