[ENH] SARInstallerEnhancements-nk

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Mon Jul 21 23:35:33 UTC 2003

On Monday 21 July 2003 04:23 pm, Doug Way wrote:
> Hm, for SqueakMap, SMLoader & PackageInfo, I've been treating the
> copy on SM as the "master" copy, so that the 3.6alpha/beta image
> gets updated from SM occasionally.  (In other words, we're avoiding
> patching these packages in the image... the patches always go in
> the SM package first, and then the image gets the whole updated
> package from SM.)

I could certainly post a 3.6 version (containing *just* SARInstaller)
on SqueakMap.

But I'd rather not maintain all those other fixes (to ZipArchive,
etc.) in the package on SqueakMap. They'll run the risk of not being
up to date, and they should be updated with the update stream.

> I was going to update these three tonight, including a postscript
> which makes the image think that SMLoader 1.02 was installed (which
> it was, really), for example.
>
> I guess I'm not sure yet what the best solution is here, but I'm a
> bit wary of adding a package-patch directly to the image.

> (Another complicating factor is that the image will always (well,
> for a long time) list "SARInstaller for 3.4" as being installed,
> because we can't uninstall packages right now.  Although we could
> unregister that one in the image, and then register a SARInstaller
> for 3.6 or similar. Or...)

The postscript can unregister one and register the other.

--
Ned Konz
http://bike-nomad.com