Debugger Request

Joshua 'Schwa' Gargus schwa at cc.gatech.edu
Tue Jul 22 06:47:37 UTC 2003

Would it be difficult to show Workspace variables in the debugger?
The user would probably only be interested in those variables referenced
in the code being debugged.

This would be useful in those cases where it is not easy to simply be
explicit about the temp variables being used.  An example is if you
are doing exploratory workspace programming, and have an intermediate
result that takes a long time to compute stashed in a workspace
variable.  You don't wan't to recompute it every time, but you can't
see it in the debugger unless you do recompute it.

My current workaround is to define a temp and assign the intermediate
result to it:

"Do this once"
inter := obj computerExpensiveIntermediateResult.

"Do this many times"
| inter1 |
inter1 := inter.
"... more code that uses inter1"

This works, but it is not as nice as it could be.  However, since I'm
not an expert in the innards of the programming tools, I don't know
whether the benefit warrants the effort.  Thoughts?

Bye,
Joshua