squeak linux woes

Bert Freudenberg bert at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de
Tue Jul 22 15:20:02 UTC 2003

Am Montag, 21.07.03 um 22:45 Uhr schrieb Ted Wright:

> Bert Freudenberg <bert at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de> wrote:
>> Am Samstag, 19.07.03 um 23:42 Uhr schrieb Ted Wright:
>>> My only suggestion is to include the "Requires" and
>>> "Provides" portions of the .spec file:
>>>
>>>    BuildRequires: XFree86-devel compat-gcc
>>>    Requires: XFree86-libs glibc
>>>    Provides: %{name} = %{version}
>>
>> We wouldn't need compat-gcc with the gcc3 patch, right?
>
> Yes, that's correct.

I see. And Squeak does build fine without X. That's being taken care of
in the configure script.

>> But some dependencies definetly are in order. Suppose I'd like to
>> build one src RPM for all distributions. Are you sure the packages
>> are called like this in every distro?
>
> I'm sure they are not like this in every distribution. It's often
> necessary to tweak the
> .spec files for RPMS for different releases of Red Hat, so I think it
> would be very hard
> to make an SRPM that works everywhere.

I just listed the libs for now. I build an RPM on a friend's SuSE 8.2
which uses gcc 3.3. You find this and the src RPM at

	http://isgwww.cs.uni-magdeburg.de/~bert/squeak/RPMS/

It also contains a new patch that I will send out separately: gcc 3.3
complained about multi-line string literals in asm directives of the
mpeg plugin.

>>> ...so I won't be able to check out your binary on RH9 until then.
>>> However, I did try
>>> to rebuild the source RPM on RH9, and it had a problem. Everything
>>> looked like
>>> it was compiling normally until near the end of the build process:
>>>
>>> # rpmbuild --rebuild Squeak-vm-3.4-1bert.src.rpm
>>> ... ...
>>> Checking for unpackaged file(s): /usr/lib/rpm/check-files
>>> %{buildroot}
>>> getOutputFrom(): Broken pipe
>
> I did some checking on Red Hat 9. Your binary RPM works OK, but your
> source RPM does not build due to this "broken pipe" problem (which
> seems
> to be intermittent - it happened every time but once in the dozen or so
> attempts I made).
>
> I tried several workarounds for the "broken pipe" problem that all
> resulted in
> a new binary RPM that built without errors, but the resulting Squeak
> VM would
> crash after a few seconds with the same symptoms a VM built without the
> gcc 3.2 patch (even though the patch was applied).
>
> The only way I have found to make RPMS that both build and run
> properly with
> Red Hat 9 is to install gcc 2.96 (the compat-gcc package) for
> compiling the
> Squeak VM.

It does not seem like a gcc problem to me, since it worked on SuSE. I
noted, though, that they have a different RPM version (there is no
rpmbuild command).

-- Bert