Lightweight Install?

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Tue Jul 22 20:15:54 UTC 2003

Hi,

If you have a choice and no preference use Linux. Using DOS is probably not
a very good idea - for one thing, Squeak generally assumes "reasonable file
name lengths" (as in: a few more than 8.3) and also (AFAIK) the DOS port
isn't actively managed.

The Windows/Linux VMs are comparable (hey, it's the same processor ;) and
since Squeak runs very well in both environments it's totally your pick. If
the /dev/fb stuff works (I haven't heard about it in a while) this would be
another clear advantage for Linux as you wouldn't have to share your machine
with a load of other apps (I don't know what the footprint of X11 is these
days; but you can probably expect a couple of MB to be essentially lost).

BTW, anyone ever looked into an SDL port? Might be interesting too, and
potentially give us /dev/fb for free...

Cheers,
  - Andreas