The move to gamma (was: Re: [UPDATES] SARInstaller update + 1 other fix for 3.6beta)

Daniel Vainsencher danielv at netvision.net.il
Wed Jul 23 05:56:00 UTC 2003

We have shortened the beta/gamma stages by quite a bit more than we
planned. I think before we proceed, we should make sure we are ready.

I see 3 issues that might make this release more buggy than previous
releases, which I think is unacceptable.
1. Have the debugger/context issues stabilized enough to go gamma?
2. Have we fixed all the calls to deprecated stuff made in the image?
3. Do we have a clear idea about how users of this release will be able
to work at least as well as with the previous scheme of Full releases?
IOW:
- is SM1.1 ready so that we can split the current version of each
package? if not,
- are all the packages that have been removed in such a state that we
can pull them in as they are now and thus release a Full image that will
work?

There may be other issues, those are the ones I could think of. Unless
we're quite sure that in each of these we have a clear solution that is
better than 3.5 provides, I think we should delay the move to gamma.

Either way, the time between now and release is quite short, and 3.6
won't change much before the release. This is a good moment for everyone
that might still be doing development in something other than the latest
to upgrade and help with the testing. What we don't catch before the
release will cause us much more trouble than if we catch it while in
beta.

Daniel