Sound quality in Squeak for wav files

Eddie Cottongim cottonsqueak at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 23 17:39:44 UTC 2003

Hi Bilal,

If you are on Windows, you might try turning off DirectSound in the VM
Preferences Menu.

I've found that something like:
    Speaker manWithHead say: 'Crackles and pops, oh my, oh my.'
produces nasty popping, probably clipping, when DirectSound is turned on.

I'm not sure why this happens. My best guess that DirectSound tries to do
some 3D-Positional-WhizBang-FruitLoops-Decoder Ring processing on the sound.
Or maybe they jack up the volume 10dB, causing clipping, to make us think
DirectSound 'sounds' better - a tactic MS has used in the past.

Eddie