BFAV email prefix?

Marcus Denker marcus at ira.uka.de
Thu Jul 24 13:31:18 UTC 2003

On Thu, Jul 24, 2003 at 01:03:48PM +0300, Daniel Vainsencher wrote:
> Marcus Denker <marcus at ira.uka.de> wrote:
> > Of course, in the long run, it would be nice to have a system
> > that is build on top of a real database...
> Don't know if you've looked at the BFAV code, but it goes some distance
> in that direction, in that it has repository classes that use files.
> What do you want to get from a DB? might not be hard to get from using
> the BFAV code as a basis for a server.

Ok... yes, what I meant was a more client/server based system. having
a central server would allow you to use this without downloading
all the files. And it would be nice to have another kind of
communication-path to the system than using emails... I just thought
that Magma would be simpler than storing files by ftp or something
like that...  but I havn't really looked at the BVFAV code.

> I've been thinking about bug submits. I noticed that our "how to
> contribute to squeak" section of the Swiki didn't even mention "mail out
> bug report" (fixed now), and am curious if there's anything more we can
> do to make bug reports easier/more effective. Do you have ideas how a
> client outside the debugger/in a web interface can help?

A web-interface would only be there as a "backup". Just like with
SqueakMap. We could link it from squeak.org (*bugreports here*).
This looks good. Even with Squeakmap available inside Squeak, I
use the web-interface sometimes.

A Bug-reporting client inside Squeak could make sure
so provide all the required information: VM version, image version,
installed packages, and so on. It could include a viewer for open/closed
bugs. So people can have a look if the bug was reported allready..

This is not meant to be a technical solution: It's more that providing such
kind of interfaces really helps users, even if they are too trivial for some
developers...

Take the submissions of [ENH]: It's trivial to do with a mail program.
Just remember to use the right tag. don't fiddle with linendings (mail programs
do that), so compress it. With gzip. attach it, no, not uuencoded. using MIME!.
Oh, and use correct ending on the file  (not .cs.gz,000 ).
You see: It's far from trivial if you don't know how. And that's why there's a
"sent changeset to list" button.

--
Marcus Denker marcus at ira.uka.de  -- Squeak! http://squeak.de