[ANN] Monticello Versioning

Daniel Vainsencher danielv at netvision.net.il
Thu Jul 24 17:42:29 UTC 2003

Avi Bryant <avi at beta4.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 24 Jul 2003, Daniel Vainsencher wrote:
>
> > Thinking about the same process issues, how about allowing a package
> > file to optionally include a publically accessible "release url". This
> > would declare the version a publically available reference point, so
> > patches against it would be reasonable. Of course it doesn't imply
> > "stable releases"ness, but stable releases could boast official urls.
>
> Yeah, I've thought about something like this too
I must be starting to get it ;-)

> - it certainly might end
> up being a useful piece of info for versions to be able to carry around.
>
> For practical purposes, however, there will probably be a single directory
> online somewhere that is the reference repository for a particular
> package;
Why should there be such a thing? people can each publish on their own
publically viewable web space gotten through whatever means
(university/work/"I own an ISP"), with nothing but the release catalog,
SM, being centralized. This seems perfectly feasible right now, without
webdav support.

[snip]

> I think we need a couple of projects managed this
> way before we really understand what the process needs...
Might well be. I wager that won't take long - MC looks great.

Daniel