[ANN] Monticello Versioning

Julian Fitzell julian at beta4.com
Thu Jul 24 19:11:39 UTC 2003

Brent Vukmer wrote:

>>So what's the issue here? GETting a directory listing is
>>quite trivial - you GET the dirname
>>(http://tai42.xs4all.nl/~cg/mc) and get back an HTML file that
>
> contains a bunch of links - some of them extraneous (like sort
>
>>buttons, link to parent folder), some of them to targets that are
>
> called "whatever.mcv". So just parse the directory listing for <A >
> HREF="*.mcv">.
>
> It would be kind of nice to GET just a text file that lists the
> filenames ( a la updates.list )..

Well we don't want to have a file in the DAV repository because it needs
to always reflect the contents of the directory.  Nor does Cees'
solution necessarily work since GETting a collection is undefined as I
understand it.  Some servers return an HTML page and then you have to
crawl the page (ick)... you can't be sure they all do that though... we
were surprised that there seemed no way in webdav to get a straight list
of the collection contents.

How do the Windows WebFolders, etc. implementations do this?  Surely
they don't parse an HTML file??  My suggestion to Avi was to sniff one
of those transactions and find out...

Julian