[Q] Did ServerDirectories ever really work in the file list?

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Fri Jul 25 00:26:06 UTC 2003

On Thursday 24 July 2003 04:46 pm, Daniel Vainsencher wrote:
> When I enter an ftp server and try to open a code browser on a
> remote file, everything chokes up because the remote filename, with
> server and all, is looked up in a local directory. Has anyone ever
> looked at this?

Yes. I believe we discussed this way back when the service registry
went in.

There were a number of pre-existing file list services that expected
file names. So that's the default argument to the service. But Bob
Arning added SimpleServiceEntry>>argumentGetter: back in CS 5001 to
make project opening work from the file list. With this you can have
your service call back to the file list and ask it for its directory
and file name.

Since no one went back and made similar changes where it would make
sense, I think the only service that does it right is defined in
ProjectViewMorph>>#serviceOpenProjectFromFile .

Of course, what would make all of this much nicer is if we had
consistently used URLs there.

--
Ned Konz
http://bike-nomad.com