The move to gamma (was: Re: [UPDATES] SARInstaller update + 1 other fix for 3.6beta)

goran.krampe at bluefish.se goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Fri Jul 25 11:10:48 UTC 2003

Hi all!

Daniel Vainsencher <danielv at netvision.net.il> wrote:
[SNIP]
> 3. Do we have a clear idea about how users of this release will be able
> to work at least as well as with the previous scheme of Full releases?
> IOW:
> - is SM1.1 ready so that we can split the current version of each
> package? if not,
> - are all the packages that have been removed in such a state that we
> can pull them in as they are now and thus release a Full image that will
> work?

I read through the rest of the replies in this thread and agree with the
proposed "stretching".

I am currently still having my "vacation" and I am not putting much time
into Squeaking at all. So the question regarding SM1.1 - it is *not*
ready and I agree with the proposal of doing a "regular" release for 3.6
but making sure the packages we do have behave properly.

I also think that changing the format of the release (distributing a
partial package cache and a smaller image + an SM catalog instead of the
current files) will require a bit of preparation and "education" in
order not to cause too much confusion. It would also require a longer
period of testing.

Apart from this SM1.1 is moving forward although slowly since I am still
trying to stay away from the keyboard and actually have a proper
vacation. I will continue hacking in earnest next week though. Brian did
a great job on the package cache but he can't easily help much currently
since much stuff depends on me.

If there are any crucial bugs with the current SM please CC me
personally - I do check personal email every other day but can't keep up
with the list right now (377 unread today). I already know about the
"ChangeSet current" bug and the two Undeclared (not used methods IIRC).

Ok, back to getting my Hobie18Formula into shape. :-)

regards, Göran