[ANN] Monticello Versioning

Colin Putney cputney at wiresong.ca
Fri Jul 25 21:59:24 UTC 2003

On Friday, July 25, 2003, at 02:42  AM, Daniel Vainsencher wrote:

> [what would be required for an installer]
> I wouldn't advise you to start refactoring just to create a smaller
> installer. As a user of the format, I would prefer a minimal installer
> be included in the image, so that I can post packages as mcv file
> directly. If this doesn't happen, I'll probably start releasing stuff
> as
> st files that load MC and then an mcv, which works but is awkward.

Because of the overhead required for working with them, I don't think
mcv makes a very good distribution format. Here's another idea, to
deploy with standard fileouts instead:

We add a really simple, lightweight package registry to the update
stream, perhaps as part of PackageInfo. Then, when exporting a version,
Monticello adds a postscript to the fileout, which registers the
package and stores the VersionInfo for the version being exported. If
you then load Monticello, it examines the package registry and sets up
working copies with the correct ancestry.

That way users of a package can become contributors without having to
backtrack and set up a versioning environment first.

Thoughts?

Colin