[BUG] Enhanced IRC Client gets disconnected

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Sat Jul 26 05:37:29 UTC 2003

> >>There is no walkback, and the client gives no indication at all of the
> >>disconnect, except nothing new happens. Anybody know something about
> >>that, or have ideas?
>
> I tried to use that IRC channel a while ago from a non-Squeak client and
> got disconnected so often I gave up after a few hours. (on a otherwise
> stable DSL connection)

One issue I've seen is that, if you block the user process in Squeak,
e.g. to download a few hunder email messages, then the client can drop
PING's and thus get disconnected.  I don't know if this is what others
are seeing -- I haven't done IRC in a while.

Note that this is not a scenario that happens while you are actively
chatting; it happens when you do something else that blocks the UI.

Incidentally, it would be very nice if the client could reconnect you
to a server and have you join all the rooms you were in when you left....

Lex