PWS and Lost Packages (was: 3.6 "full" packages)

Daniel Vainsencher danielv at netvision.net.il
Sun Jul 27 11:04:27 UTC 2003

I agree that PWS can and should be removed from Basic and Full. I do
find it worrying that  the code is no longer available at
http://swiki.gsug.org:8080/sqfixes/3130.attachments/PWS.st.gz.

If swiki attachments are not reliable places to put up packages, then we
should stop doing so. The idea that a package is removed from the image,
it's code put up in unreliable storage and then lost really bothers me.

Concretely, does anyone have PWS.cs.gz and can upload it to some safe
web space?
After this is found, Brent, can you update the SM registry so that it is
installable?

Assuming we have a server with web space available (I don't know if
modules.squeakfoundation.org is available for this use, but if not, we
can find another), does anyone have an idea for a scheme that allows
anyone in the squeak community to upload their packages into one place,
without it becoming a warez exchange site?

Debian Developers have physically exchanged pgp keys that allow them to
authenticate themselves to their package servers and such, but we might
want something a little lighter-weight than that to begin with...

Daniel