Q: Squeak and scientific applications

Richard A. O'Keefe ok at cs.otago.ac.nz
Mon Jul 28 00:22:37 UTC 2003

Alexander Klein <alexander_klein_uni at web.de> wrote:
	I'm currently looking for a sensible environment to do scientific computing
	for my PhD thesis that I hope to start in October.
	The general idea is to use Squeak for visualization purposes and
	statistics, while the really hard work is done by an external kernel
	written in C or C++.

As a Squeak enthusiast, may I urge you to look very seriously at R
before considering Squeak?

- R is an open source implementation of the S programming language for
  statistics.  (See http://www.r-project.org/)
- There are oodles of textbooks about using S.  A good one is
  "Modern Applied Statistics with S" by Venables & Ripley, but there
  are others.
- R has a ton of stuff built in.  Via the "Comprehesive R Archive
  Network" sites (CRAN) (http://cran.r-project.org) you have access to
  more statistical and visualisation packages than you would have dreamed
  possible.
- R runs on pretty much any UNIX, on Windows, and on MacOS X (it used to
  run on MacOS 8 and 9; new versions of R will only be supported on MacOS X).
- There are two kinds of foreign function interface in R; the normal kind is
  where you pass arrays of numbers &c between R and C/C++/Fortran (-77 only,
  as yet); the other kind is where C/C++ code can grovel over R internal
  data structures.
- R is comprehensively documented.  There are tutorials, language reference,
  guide to exchanging data with other systems, guide to using the foreign
  interface, and all the built in functions and classes are *thoroughly*
  documented using a TexInfo-like system (current version comes to >2000
  printed pages).
- When the graphical methods in R are not quite up to your demands (like
  spinning plots, for example), there's an R interface to XGobi (now GGobi).
- The R-help mailing list is extremely active; it is as helpful as the
  Squeak mailing list (no, *more* helpful; you're not going to pick up an
  education in modern statistics from the Squeak mailing list (:-)) and
  (if you discount the BFAV messages) about equally voluminous.

Let me put it this way.  I have both Squeak and R.  If I wanted to write
an upper layer for visualisation and statistics over an external C/C++
kernel, I would *certainly* use R rather than Squeak.  R is *designed* to
be "a sensible environment to do scientific computing".

No slur on Squeak is intended, it's just that it's rather easier to
call "glm" in R than to write my own Generalised Linear Model code in Squeak...