3.6 "full" packages

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Mon Jul 28 01:06:33 UTC 2003

> What exactly is the problem with Monticello? I don't know of
> any issues with it.

Two problems:
a) .mc files cannot be loaded into a plain image without loading the full
Monticello enchilada first. If there's any other way of publishing files in
a way that make it compatible with images containing Monticello or not, then
I don't know it.
b) Monticello is "beta" which probably means that lots of interfaces are
still subject to change. Not a problem for the developers but a problem for
people (like me) who don't care about developing it but just want a
reasonable mechanism which can be used to ship packages. If the interfaces
change every couple of months it means you're constantly trying to play
catch up with the latest set of changes.

Honestly, I was very close to the point of setting up my own internal
packaging for B3D today. If you can't rely on the interfaces of a packaging
system you got a real problem.

Cheers,
  - Andreas