3.6 "full" packages

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Mon Jul 28 12:01:23 UTC 2003

> If all you want to do is load a package into an image, Monticello
> provides an "export" command that does a conventional fileout of the
> package. You can post that on SM or stick it in a sar as usual. That
> said, Monticello isn't really a packaging tool. It's a versioning tool,
> which may not be what you're looking for.

All I'm looking for is something really simple: A way of shipping a package
so that people who receive it a) are not required to have any particular
package (be that DVS or Monticello or whatever) before they can even look at
it and b) those people who do have the particular package are capable of

Reasoning: If you are a just a mere Squeak user you will probably not care
very much about what particular packaging/versioning system I have used, so
I don't want to bother people with it. Those who do development with or in
the package I am shipping I want to be able to tell "well, if you want to
make sure that the latest version doesn't just kill whatever you did, please
load XYZ".

As far as I am aware Monticello doesn't support both. You can either ship
the .mcv, violating point a) or you can do an export, violating point b).
Please, *PLEASE* tell me that I'm wrong.

Cheers,
  - Andreas