3.6 "full" packages

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Mon Jul 28 18:09:25 UTC 2003

Hi Avi,

<snip>

> And Monticello is barely a properitary format - it's a series of
> #storeStrings of objects representing class and method definitions in
> pretty obvious ways.  Any smalltalker could write a "parser" for this
> quite trivially.

<from Ned>

> 1. Make a stub .cs with trivial versions of the following that do the
> right thing:
>
> MCClassDefinition>>name:superclassName:category:instVarNames:c
> lassVarNames:poolDictionaryNames:classInstVarNames:comment:

<snap>

If you're going for some fileout-like format (I interpret Ned's message that
way) then I'd strongly recommend defining and using these stubs. In fact,
I'd go as far as to say don't make them "MCClassDefinition" but rather some
app-registry kind of thing. It tells people what interfaces they can rely
on, it documents (for your own knowledge) what interfaces have been released
and are used out there and other package/versioning systems could hook into
the same places if they know how to interpret them. The "default stub" would
then be the "empty package/versioning system".

Cheers,
  - Andreas