3.6 "full" packages

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Mon Jul 28 18:25:46 UTC 2003

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003, Andreas Raab wrote:

> This is in particular true about package/versioning systems. You seem to
> assume that Monticello is going to be the "one and only" system in Squeak.
> Well this may be true and it may not (IIRC, quite similar things have been
> said about DVS).

Ok, there seems to be a little bit of confusion/frustration about
introducing Monticello as a "replacement" for DVS and the talk of
"deprecating" DVS.

Monticello is the evolution of the DVS code; it builds on the same ideas
and is meant to be used by the same people for the same purposes.
Monticello is a newer version of DVS, with a lot of things fixed,
including the name (which, since it stood for Diff-based Versioning
System, and the code hasn't had anything to do with the output of "diff"
for a long time, was feeling a little silly).  When you release a new
version of something with the same name, it's pretty obvious that the old
version is deprecated; in this case, it seemd more necessary to shout
"hey, everybody using DVS, if you want the new version, it's over
here...".

Changing the name seems to have been confusing and was maybe a bad idea.
It's done now, though, and probably doesn't make sense to undo.

Changing the file format seemed like a very good idea (treating chunk
format declaratively was a pain in DVS, and I was hoping to move away from
that).  It's possible that this was also, in fact, a bad idea;  luckily,
this one is quite easy to undo.